Wednesday, April 6, 2011

hush little baby

I'm feeling a little emotional tonight. It seems like every so often I get hit with the fact that my babies are growing up and that my memory isn't the video camera that I wish it was. Tonight Isaac told me that there was a book under his bed that he wanted me to read. It was one that I hadn't seen for a few years. I was quickly taken back to when Isaac was a two year old and would request that very book every night. It was his favorite because it was one that I would sing to him (Hush Little Baby). As I sang it to him and Luke tonight, I had to fight back tears. It seems like an eternity ago that these two little guys were tiny little bundles that fit in my arms... and I don't remember it like I want to. Elise is already six months old. I'm trying to cherish this moment in time before she grows up as quickly as her brothers have. And, I am willing my brain to hold onto some memories better than it has with my boys. But, I know better, and so I'm a little sad.

I hope I don't sound ungrateful for who my kids are today. I love them. I love watching them grow and learn. I love seeing the differences between them. I love that I know them so well that I can (usually) predict how they will react to something. I love that I can see the greatness of their spirits. I love that despite my weaknesses being forced upon them, they are good and loving and happy. And, I'm grateful that my Heavenly Father has allowed me this opportunity to grow and learn and love. I am a much better person today because of the things I've learned as a parent. And, I still have so much to learn.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Amy. This was really sweet. I totally get it.

    David and Nora are both potty trained now, and I'm kind of sad, as at this point in life, we don't know if we'll have more children. (Not saying we won't, but we just don't know yet.)

    And it kind of breaks my heart that I may not ever sing our diaper changing song again.

    Weird? Maybe. Heart-wrenching? Yes.

    ReplyDelete