Saturday, August 4, 2012

isaac. turns. EIGHT!

This is definitely one of those moments in life that reminds you just how fast time is going (and how old you are getting)... sort of surreal.  My first born turned eight, which means that he was also baptized.  So cool!  It was complete joy to watch Adam baptize him and see the Spirit radiate from his countenance.  

Isaac is such a great kid.  I see a goodness in him that has nothing to do with me, but everything to do with him being a stalwart spirit.  I just hope I can do all in my power to guide him to the excellence that he's destined for.  A few things about Isaac:

1.  He is (and always will be) the definition of inquisitive.  No, it never gets old.

2.  He just wants to play, have a good time and laugh. He loves fun (yes, I realize that's sort of a kid thing).  But really - if Isaac gets the slightest hint that a house guest (an uncle, an employee, a home teacher) will tolerate his peskiness, then he will bug and pester until he has literally driven them from our home, vowing never to return.  We're working on personal space, but man, he sure is quick to get in on any rough housing. That being said, I am very glad that he does know how to have a good time - I've met plenty of uptight kids.

3.  He may be playful, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a serious side.  He does.  He can be quite the regulator (oldest child syndrome).

4.  He is very sensitive - especially to spiritual things.  This is probably the coolest thing about Isaac.  I marvel at how easy it is for him to recognize the Spirit.  He loves to talk about  the gospel and God's creations.  He loves to listen to "church music" and family stories.  This is when I wish my dad were still here to sit on the porch with him talking and listening away.  They would have gotten along quite well.

4.  He has a great appreciation for the beauty of all of God's creations.  He often suggests that we go out and look at the garden or sit on the porch or go on a hike.  As playful and busy as he can be, he has an equal appreciation for stillness and relaxing.

5.  He doesn't take no for an answer. He can be the most persistent little bugger - even when such persistence has earned him many a consequence.  I do have faith that this trait can become a great strength so long as I can guide it in the right direction... no pressure, right?

6.  He LOVES his grandmas, cousins, aunts, and uncles.  He is border line ecstatic whenever he gets to be in their company.  When I asked him if he'd rather go to a family reunion on his birthday or have a friend party - he didn't hesitate to choose his family.

7.  He loves to shadow Adam - offering his two cents at any given opportunity.  He definitely is mechanically minded like Adam and, with a few more years under his belt, will be well on his way to fixing engines, washing machines, or nuclear reactors.

8.  He loves to eat.  If it's something he likes, he could easily out-eat the most ravenous elephant.

9.  And, most importantly, he still doesn't mind giving me a big ol' hug or holding my hand in public.  Although, he has recently decided it is time to drop the "mommy" and start calling me "mom".  I can handle that as long as he is never too cool for me to cover him with kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment