Friday, February 12, 2010

don't i know better

We just got back from taking Adam's mom out to eat. With the boys. I'm pretty sure that I fully remembered how challenging it is to take them to a sit down restaurant where you are waited on (waited on - as in, Cafe Rio doesn't count). Yet, for some reason, we talked ourselves into attempting this monumental task again. So, did I somehow forget just how exhausting it is to keep my boys under control/entertained at a restaurant, or was there some crazy part of my brain suggesting that maybe, since the year ago we last attempted this, we had made improvements in our parenting? I don't know. But, I was, once again, reminded of why I avoid such an outing at all cost.

The night did produce a few cute/funny moments from Isaac, though. After our waiter introduced himself and went to get our drinks, Isaac says, "He looks handsome. I should tell him that, huh?" Now, remember that he is only 5, and he is a very complimentary boy... so, this doesn't worry me. Do I sound a little too defensive? Anyways, I told him that would be nice. So, as soon as the waiter comes back, Isaac yells, "You look handsome!" Awe, what a sweetheart.

Well, as we were waiting for our food, the boys were getting fidgety, restless, obnoxious, etc. We told them that they needed to try to sit still so that they wouldn't bug the people around us. We got our food and Isaac was very impressed with it. When our waiter came by to check on us, he tells him, "You make really good food!". He continues to eat and says, "I really like this food. So much that I'm not going to bug people."

So, we made it through dinner... barely. Adam's mom thanked us for dinner and the show. I'm so glad that she loves those boys despite all their energy. As Isaac hugged her goodbye, he said to her, "Have a good night Grandma. Drive safe." I guess it wasn't all bad after all.

3 comments:

  1. We try the same thing about every six months; but we've never had such cute results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds Like you guys had a lot of fun. I think it's mandatory to try an outing like that at least once every year. If you never test the waters of social eating establishments then you'll never know when they are ready. Lindsay's passed the test but not Kalli & Kade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. We went out a little while ago, just as everyone was coming down with yucky illness. That was a treasure.

    At least you had some good things come of it! I'm coming over this week. Just a heads up.

    ReplyDelete