Monday, November 9, 2009

memories

1. As I was driving with my boys the other day, I got thinking about how nice it would be to be able to record our entire 1 hour conversation on the way to grandma's house. To completely capture every word, tone, and detail in the way my boys speak. I try to record those funny little things that they say, but I sometimes panic that I am someday going to forget how they sound and talk now. I hate the very thought of it. I'm not sure why I feel such a need to remember everything to the point that it causes me stress. Maybe it's because I have a lousy memory, therefore I have a hard time remembering a lot of my past (except for the things that I wish I would forget) - and that bugs me. Honest to Pete, I don't know how many times I have had to ask Carrie, "was I there", as childhood moments are being discussed around the dinner table. Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely dense - I do have memories. They just aren't much compared to my sister's elephant brain.

2. So, this week it's all about Isaac. The first comment was made during the previously mentioned conversation on our way to grandma's. He noticed a smoke stack and asked me what they were making over there. I said, "I'm not sure."
So he started speculating, "Maybe gas, or gasoline, or metal. How do they make metal?" Leaving no time for me to answer, he continues, "Maybe they melt plastic and add wood."
I respond, "No, probably not with plastic and wood. They find different metals, or elements in the earth to make metal."
Isaac's conclusion, "Oh, it's probably in rocks." Not a bad conclusion for a 5 year old.

3. I heard Luke asking Adam to draw him a picture of Spiderman, to which Adam replied, "You should go ask mommy to draw it. She would do it a lot better than me."
Then, I heard Isaac say, "Yeah, she can use her mad skills to draw it." It is such a proud moment when your kids pick up on your lingo, and use it in the right context.

4. We went to Cooper's (my nephew) baptism on Saturday. After he had been baptized, he sat back down next to us. I watched Isaac sneak over and stand in front of him and my brother, grinning. My brother later told me that Isaac had asked Cooper, "Are you happy?"

5. Lastly, is a comment that Isaac frequently makes - who knows, I may have already written about it before, but, of course, I don't remember. So, there is no doubt that Isaac LOVES Asa. About once a day, Isaac will say something like, "We are so lucky to have Asa.", or "I'm glad we have such a cute baby." It's always nice to hear your children speak so lovingly of one another. I'll be sure to remind him of all this love down the road from now.

Pics of the week:

Usually it's Asa learning bad habits from his older brothers - not the other way around. They decided to reconnect with their inner baby and help Asa empty my cupboards.

Asa loves climbing into little spaces - just like Luke did/does.

After church this past Sunday, Isaac rushed into my bedroom and told me that I wasn't allowed to come in. After a while he came out and this is what I found - my bed made (no, it was not already made), with this heart stuck on a pillow. His teacher must have given them a challenge to serve others (he said he can't tell me). I just thought it was adorable how excited he was to do this. I was pretty impressed with how good of a job he did: blankets relatively squared up, and pillows in the right order. Maybe I need to make him responsible for making my bed every day so that it gets done more frequently.

5 comments:

  1. These are such adorable stories, and adorable boys. I'm so stinkin' happy for you, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worry about forgetting the cute things too.

    I love the picture of Asa on the shelf.

    If I give Isaac a heart, do you think he would make my bed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such cute stories. You will be SO GRATEFUL you wrote them down. I LOVE that Issac loves Asa so much. That is so tender. What a sweet boy Issac is. It gets me excited to see how Caleb shows his tender side down the road as he gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Amy, you are raisin' some smart ones. But, at least they are hip with the lingo. Good thing they have such cool parents with such mad skills at raising kids. haha. Love the stories and of course adorable pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about not wanting to forget the conversations. We dusted off the camcorder to record kade because he was saying some cute things, and ended up just sitting there talking to him for about an hour while we recorded it.

    ReplyDelete