Tuesday, June 2, 2009

a sad little guy

So, this is kind of sad, but I felt the need to write it down before I forget. It's a great example of Isaac's sensitive soul.

A couple of months ago Adam and I were sitting on the couch chatting with Isaac. I'm not sure exactly how we got on the subject, but Adam told Isaac how lucky he was to have a daddy around who loves him so much. He told Isaac that he didn't know his daddy. Of course, this led to MANY questions from Isaac. I don't remember word for word what was said, but it pretty much went like this:

Isaac: "Why don't you know your daddy?"
Adam: "Because he left our family and moved somewhere else."
Isaac: "Why did he leave your family?"
Adam: "I don't know... I guess he just decided he wanted to leave."
Isaac: "Can we go see him someday?"
Adam: "We don't know him, so probably not."
Isaac (at this point you can hear the tears in the voice): "But, why can't we go meet him?"
Adam: "Well, he lives far away and we don't know him at all."

He paused for a minute and you could see the pain in his little face... his eyes filling with tears, his mouth turning down. Then he said, "My throat hurts." You know how when you are fighting back tears your throat hurts? That broke my heart. I told him it's okay to cry and to feel sad, and then the tears really came. We have talked about my dad quite a bit before and how we will get to see him in heaven. Isaac makes comments of how he wishes he could have met Grandpa Loveridge, but he understands it. This, he doesn't understand... the fact that he has a grandpa out there, somewhere, that he doesn't know. Luckily, Isaac has two WONDERFUL grandmas that make sure he feels loved and adored.

4 comments:

  1. What a precious boy. His sweet naive sensitive spirit cannot comprehend a father leaving his babies. I wish all the dads in the world would feel the same way. I too don't understand how a parent could leave their children. What a blessing that we are married to Dads that LOVE their kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only everyone could see life through the eyes of such a sweet boy. The world would be a much better place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a sweetheart.

    My throat hurts after reading this.

    ReplyDelete