Tuesday, August 4, 2009

isaac turns 5!

5 years ago

5 years later

It's hard to believe that my oldest child is 5 years old (just like it's hard to believe that I'm 30!). But, what a blessing he has been to our lives - ever since the day I pushed his gigantic, square head out of my body. And, although he has challenged my mind, my patience, my reflexes, and my ability to explain everything under the stars over these last 5 years, I am so truly blessed to be a mother to such a sweet, fun, and intelligent spirit. Here are a few things about Isaac at 5 years old:

1. When I think of Isaac, the first thing that comes to mind is what a huge sweetheart he is. He has always been very affectionate, loving, and soft-hearted. He says some of the sweetest things - and, not in a suck-up sort of way... he is genuinely sweet. Not that he can't be a little stinker, or say some not-so-sweet things to his little brother... there is plenty of that in our house.

2. Another thing that stands out about Isaac is how a playful he is. There is nothing that Isaac loves more than to joke, goof around, and laugh. If you use the words poop or stinky or smelly in a sentence, it's automatically hilarious - whether it makes sense or not. We have done him a great disservice by using those words when we joke around with him... now when he thinks he's being funny, other kids think he's calling them names.

3. Isaac is very mechanically minded. He HAS to know how EVERYTHING works. And, he's pretty good at figuring it out by himself, if he is allowed to investigate. Before he was even two, he had figured out how to turn an ATV on and put it into gear, by himself. And, I remember about a year ago, getting a full explanation of how a snowmobile engine works after he had been out "helping" Adam fix one.

4. Isaac is constantly asking questions... literally! And, he doesn't just ask you once - he asks you the same question another 4 or 5 times, just in different ways. But, this has made him quite an expert when it comes to ANYTHING involving electricity, water/plumbing, fires, or any other forces of natures. I have gotten use to his constant stream of questioning, except when it's asking me "why?" after I tell him "no"... which he does every time.

5. Isaac is a self-proclaimed inventor. I can't begin to count how many roles of tape and string he has used in making all of his "contraptions" or "booby traps" (his words). Many times his contraptions don't have much of a purpose/use - they are just a bunch of items taped/tied together, but there are times that I'm pretty impressed with what he comes up with.

6. One thing that I love about Isaac is his appreciation for God's creations: plants/flowers, animals, babies, mountains, rivers, waterfalls... beauty. He notices these things, and he knows that his Heavenly Father made them for us (as he gratefully points out). This is something I hope he never loses.

Isaac requested a rocket cake this year. Yet, another work of art from yours truly.

Isaac finally got Bendaroos... he was VERY excited.

Funny... and a little scary.

Some of Adam's family.

Some of my family.

For Isaac's birthday party, we invited both of our families to a park for some pizza and cake. Isaac's only request for his party was to be able to play with his cousins. If his cousins are around, Isaac is one happy little boy. We also enjoy any excuse to get together with our families.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Isaac! What a sweetheart. Great cake, mom!

    ReplyDelete