Sunday, August 2, 2009

the big three oh.

Adam: "Isaac, did you know that it's mommy's birthday in a few days? She's going to be an old lady."
Isaac: "What is she going to look like?"

I am now 30... officially a grown up. It's a little confusing: my mind hasn't quite caught on to the fact that I am 30 - not 22, but my body has pretty much accepted the reality of "getting older". I'm not claiming to be a geriatric, but you do notice a few changes over a decade... slower recovery time, more complaining of an achy back, a slower metabolism, freckles turning into age spots, and the consequences of years of sunscreenless fun manifest themselves in the wrinkles on my face. I'm not complaining though. I am very happy with my life and like myself much more as a 30 year old than as a 22 year old. My life has much more meaning and richness, and much less self-absorption.

So, for my birthday Adam and I did an overnight backpacking trip up in the Uintas (in the area that Adam is scouting for mountain goats, since he drew out on a goat tag... killing two birds with one stone). I love backpacking, but since having kids, I haven't made time for it. So, this was a real treat that was made possible by my wonderful, selfless, overworked mom. It was AMAZING! I don't know if I had forgotten just how much I love backpacking over the last 5 years, or if it was just a much needed break, but it was simply wonderful. The area we were in has some breathtaking views, and there's nothing like being out away from all the cares of the world getting reacquainted with your thoughts. It was also nice to confirm that I could still physically push myself through miles and miles of trekking (I had no problem keeping up with Adam... I totally rock).

Proving how hard core I am: I climbed up this with my pack on... yeah,that's right.

This part was actually quite fun: climbing up and down the boulders.

Adam searching for the goats. My question: Even if you find them, how are you going to get them?

What a stud.

Kermsuh Lake - so beautiful.

A man wishing he had a fishing pole.

Yum.

Amethyst Basin - such a GORGEOUS place.

Well, the fun didn't end there. Adam had arranged a little surprise party for me afterwards with my family. The lodge (where Adam works) is only a few miles away from where the trailhead was, so he said he had to drop something off before we headed home. He had reserved a cabin for us all to stay the night in, and the fam was all there waiting for us when we got there. I was definitely surprised... I never would have expected Adam to pull something off so smoothly, without giving anything away. It also finally made sense as to why he was so adimate that I wouldn't make it back in time to go hiking with the young women that evening... I just thought he was being stubborn. We all had a fun evening together and my birthday ended up being way more exciting than I had expected... thanks Adam, you are a wonderful husband.

Asa, going crazy in the water - as usual.

Taking the kids down to the ponds to feed the fish.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Amy! That trip looks like it was so much fun. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had such a great birthday experience, too. We have aweseme husbands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun trip! You must be every outdoors-ist's dream wife. I don't know many woman who would want/agree to an overnight hike for their birthday! (Although it looked fun to me, I just don't think I could physically manage!) What a fun surprise at the end too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Amy! Sounds like it was a blast. Can't think of a better way to celebrate the big 30. You DO ROCK!

    ReplyDelete