Wednesday, August 26, 2009

cruel mom award

1. Have you ever made your child cry, and laughed about it? Well, I did. The other night Isaac was taking a bath, when I heard him over exaggerate (shocking) the fact that Luke bumped his eye and he told Luke 'not to do that because it would poke his eye out'. So, I decided to have some fun.
Me in an overly concerned voice: "Isaac, your eyeball is really gone!"
Isaac in his laughing, with an undertone of concern voice: "No, it's not."
Me: "Yes it is. But, at least you have another one so you can still see."
Isaac, with more concern than laughter: "It's not gone. I don't want it to be gone." (Also, feeling to check if he still has his eyes... which makes the fact that he believed me even funnier)
Me, trying not to laugh: "It really is bud, but it will be okay."
Isaac, with actual tears now: "I don't want my eyeball to be gone!"
Me, laughing, but starting to feel bad, decided to let him know that I was only joking.
I'm such a jerk.

2. So, I have recently started to the P90X workout videos (to be said in a hard core voice, while creating an 'X' with your arms). I have never been so sore in my life! Which is a good sign that if I actually stick with it, I will see results, right? The one thing I'm not going to do though, is take the 'before' picture that they recommend... I am not taking the chance of that somehow making it onto the internet for the world to see.

My kids can do better pull-ups than I can.

3. Isaac's cousins gave him some fake tattoos a little while ago. After applying them, he asked if they would stay on him forever. I told him that they would ware off after taking a couple of baths. So, he asks, "So, uncle Mark doesn't take baths?" Uncle Mark has real tattoos.

4. We took the boys to Moab for a short camping trip (one night). We had a great time (although, Adam is realizing how much work is involved with camping as a parent). We hiked to Delicate Arch the first day, set up camp near Slick Rock, roasted some weenies and marshmallows, played on some rock hills, and hiked Mill Creek the second day. Isaac really didn't want to leave, which he kept repeating the whole way home. He also kept asking if we could come back with his friend, Logan, and he would tell him about the poison ivy and to stay away from it (he was a bit over cautious about not touching the poison ivy... almost paralyzing at times).

Notice Luke's footwear. I had asked Isaac to put all of our shoes into a bag. Adam, not knowing that Isaac was responsible for the shoes - so not checking, put them into the truck. Me, thinking that Adam had checked Isaac's work, didn't worry about it. There were only two shoes that didn't make it into the bag, which wasn't discovered until getting to the trailhead of the hike... at least we had a right and a left.

Asa loved the tent, because he wasn't confined to a backpack or bouncer.

Just a bit worn out.

5. We took the boys to the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point ($2 Tuesdays = one enormous crowd). We met up with Grandma Pulley, Dani, and her girls. The boys were so excited to go, for they have never been to a dinosaur museum before (what?!). Isaac, kept asking me, in his playful/scared voice if he was going to be scared.

5 comments:

  1. Those Moab pictures are amazing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to mess with her kids. A mom's gotta have some fun, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um. Hiking in a skirt. You are queen of the outdoors. Love all the pics and 5 things. I am not very good at blogging right now. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo funny about the eyes. I've often wondered if I would do that to my kids because I've been tempted to do it to other people's kids. I tell myself I won't cuz that's mean. But, I'm glad someone else sees the humor as well. Shoe story is great. Oh, and the P90X...let me know how it goes. I am also the proud owner of one of those pull up bars because of those workout videos. If you do stick with it you will see results, I know people who have. But, fair warning, I was so sick of being sore EVERYDAY for THREE WEEKS straight that I quit after that. But, ya know, you win some and lose some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh.. moab is so fun it's been a while since I have been there. I need to go back. Good luck rockin the px90. I am scared to try it. I can't do pull ups heck I can't even do monkey bars. I tried them the other day they kind of hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha I think most moms do that stuff but don't admit it! At least you have a kid to blame the shoe thing on. You saw Milo's awesome "Maceys" diaper!
    Oh and the bedding is from Ikea. $20 for the whole set!

    ReplyDelete